Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Colour Challenge Card Project for Scrapbook Nerd

Hello friends!

I'm back with another Scrapbook Nerd Design Team project. This week the DT was challenged to create their projects based on the following colour board:

I absolutely love this colour combo and decided to pull out my Pinkfresh Studio Liquid Watercolours to create my cards.

This method of watercolouring with liquids is new to me. So I went on YouTube and watched a few tutorials and then practiced a little bit before diving into my cards. I definitely feel like I still need a lot more practice but learning is part of the process which I enjoy.

To be honest, I much prefer the way my first card turned out. I used two different methods of watercolouring on each card. On the first, I brushed a lot of water onto the watercolour paper first and then dipped my wet paint brush in the colours, and one by one I just dropped the colour down and watched it swirl and kind of do it's own thing. To me, this method makes the painting look more fluid and natural.

In the second card, I didn't wet my watercolour paper. Instead, I just dipped my wet (flat) brush in the colours and painted some stripes. This resulted in a much more pigmented colour, which I like, but it also left behind some harsher lines. I'm sure I could've done a better job of blending them, but with more practice I'm sure I'll get it right.

 

Both my cards use the following Pinkfresh Studio Liquid Watercolours; Bubble Gum, Sunshine, Clementine and Sky Blue.

Once the watercolour paper was dry, I die cut it using the Altenew Floral Heart Frame die. This die is very delicate with a lot of tiny pieces. Because the watercolour paper I used is very thick (140 lb.) normally I'd have to use a shim and make several passes on my die cutting machine. But for this card, I wanted to keep all those little bitty pieces together, so I only passed it through twice, just enough so that just the outside frame would cut completely through. To add some shimmer to the heart, I sprayed it with Therm-o-web Glitter Dust.


Next, I trimmed some white cardstock to 4" x 5.25" and dry embossed the Altenew Elegant Swirls Stencil onto the panel. I adhered the panel onto a 4.25" x 5.5" card base, Lawn Fawn No. 2 Pencil cardstock found in the Schoolyard pack.


I adhered the heart to the dry embossed panel using 3D foam adhesive. I stamped the "I'm here for you" sentiment from the Altenew Dotted Blooms stamp set using Versamark Ink onto black cardstock and heat embossed it with Brutus Monroe White Alabaster embossing powder. I glued the sentiment over the heart. For some bling, I added some sequins from the Studio Katia Happy Mix and that completes my first card.


My second card uses the same Floral Heart Frame Die but this time I die cut it three times, popped out the tiny bits and pieces on each and every one and glued all three together to create some dimension. As I mentioned before, the die is very delicate so care and patience is needed to make sure all the pieces line up and don't tear in the process. To add some shimmer to the heart, I sprayed it with Therm-o-web Glitter Dust.


I created the panel using the Altenew Dotted Scales Debossing Cover die. To create the heart opening, I die cut another Floral Heart Frame out of the panel. I adhered the panel over the watercoloured paper and then glued the panel to an A2 sized cardbase made from pink Bazzill cardstock. I used Elmer's Spray Adhesive on the back of the Floral Heart Frame and adhered it inside the heart opening on the panel.


I stamped and white heat embossed a sentiment from the My Favorite Things Sassy Pants Love stamp set and adhered it across the middle of the heart. I used the Sky Blue PFS liquid watercolour to add splatters to the front of my card. All that was left to do was to add some bling from Lucy's Cards Mini Mix as the finishing touch.

To purchase any of the products I used in these card projects, please stop by the Scrapbook Nerd online store. There are so many goodies coming in to the store every day!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment