Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Look Ma...No Stamps! Sketch Week with Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends!

It's sketch week over at Scrapbook Nerd and I was inspired to create three cards using nothing but dies. I love using stamps on my cards but trust me, you can achieve equally beautiful results with just dies. The dies I am featuring today are the lovely Fancy Hello Die and the Hibiscus Garden 3D Die Set by Altenew. 

Altenew has some of the most beautiful standalone dies I've ever worked with. Yes, dies typically come at a higher price point than most stamps, but I can't say enough about their quality and how very versatile they are. When investing in standalone dies, always choose ones that will give you the most bang for your buck. I can honestly say that the dies I used in my card projects today are ones that I have reached for over and over. 

Here is the May card sketch:

All the flowers on my cards were coloured using Copic markers. For this card, I used BG10, BG45, BG18, B39 and Y38. The card panel is an Altenew die called Pegboard Canvas Cover Die which I backed onto some teal blue cardstock. I wanted to control the amount of blue that peeked through so I chose not to poke all the holes out.  


Here's a close-up of the Fancy Hello Die. I die cut it 5 times from black cardstock and glued them together to create this dimensional look. I added Wink of Stella for some subtle shimmer.


The leaves were die cut from Bazzill textured cardstock. I sprayed Sheer Shimmer Spritz Spray in Frost onto all my flowers to give them some shimmery shine. As a finishing touch, I added Studio Katia Clear Drops.


My next card features pink hibiscus! My favourite floral colour! The Fancy Hello Die was die cut from grey Lawn Fawn Woodgrain Cardstock and black fun foam. I spritzed shimmer spray onto the fun foam and then once it was dry, I adhered the woodgrain die cut on top of the fun foam slightly offset so that some of that shimmer could peek through. 


The Copics I used to colour the flowers are RV69, RV17, RV04, RV02. The white panel is cut from Lawn Fawn Woodgrain Cardstock and mounted onto Lawn Fawn Fog cardstock. The Watermelon Jewels are from Pretty Pink Posh.


In this next close-up, you can see the black fun foam behind the grey woodgrain cardstock. I think fun foam is a great way to stack your sentiments. It's quicker than die cutting and gluing multiple cardstock pieces together and it's a cheap way to achieve beautiful dimension on your card. I buy all my fun foam at my local dollar store.


My final card for today features a card panel cut from an Altenew die called Dotted Scales Debossing Cover Die. This die is unique because instead of cutting the design, it debosses the pattern into your cardstock leaving behind this gorgeous subtle texture.


The Fancy Hello sentiment was die cut from cardstock and fun foam. I adhered the two together and applied Glossy Accents to create a clear glossy dimensional look.


The Copic markers I used were Y38, Y17, Y35 and Y32. I applied Bundled Sage Distress Ink using a sponge dauber to the leaves just to give them some texture and interest. The yellow card base is Wild Dandelion by Gina K Designs. I added Iridescent Bubbles by Studio Katia for the final touch.


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope I've inspired you to try something new in your card or scrapbook projects. 

And great news!! Scrapbook Nerd is having a 10-20% off sale on all in-stock Altenew products until May 31st! Click here to check it out.

As always, if you have any questions, please leave me a comment down below. 

Thanks again and have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment