Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Simple Watercolouring with Scrapbook Nerd

Hello crafty friends,

This week for the Scrapbook Nerd Design Team I created two cards using a technique that is not one of my strong suits but that I enjoy very much; watercolouring. I'm definitely no expert on creating shadows or even knowing where the shadows are supposed to be, but I let go of any notion of perfection and just did my own thing.

My card projects today feature this lovely stamp set called Folk Hummingbird by Pinkfresh Studios and Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers.

I started off by stamping the bird and floral image onto Strathmore Watercolour Paper. Using my Zig markers and a watercolour brush, I start applying colour to the areas I think should be the darkest. Then using the watercolour brush, I push the colour out until it becomes lighter and the image is fully coloured in. After it dries, I sometimes go back and apply more dark shadows until I'm happy with the result.


Once the images were dry, I die cut them with the coordinating dies. For my background panel, I trimmed a piece of white cardstock down to 4" x 5.5". I then used the Dotted Scales Debossing Cover die by Altenew to add a subtle pattern to an otherwise plain background. Next I die cut a heart shape in the center using the Lawn Fawn Outside In Stitched Heart Stackables dies.

I created an A2 sized card base out of Lawn Fawn Cilantro cardstock. I applied 3D foam tape to the back of the white panel and adhered it to the card base. I adhered the bird and the florals using Gina K Connect Glue. I stamped and heat embossed a sentiment from the Folk Hummingbird stamp set in the middle of the heart and added some Pinkfresh Studio Jewels to finish it off.


For my second card, I used Neenah Desert Storm cardstock for my card base. I used the Pinkfresh Studio Braided Oval dies to cut two oval shapes out of white cardstock. On the smaller oval, I ink blended the following Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks; Shaded Lilac, Dusty Concord and Wilted Violet. I then flicked some water droplets on it and dabbed it with a paper towel. I added 3-D foam tape to the back of the small oval and adhered it over the larger oval. I then glued them both down to the cardbase.


I adhered the bird and the floral images onto the card front and added some Studio Katia Iridescent Bubbles. For the sentiment, I die cut the Celebrate word from the Pinkfresh Studio Classic Words set from Tim Holtz Idea-ology Metallic Kraft-Stock (gold colour). I die cut it a second time from black fun foam. I adhered the two together to create dimension and glued it to the front of my card.


And that completes my two cards. Both cards did not take me that long to complete at all. The images were fairly simple to watercolour and they're so pretty on their own that you don't really need much to embellish the card.

Most of the products I used to create these cards are available in the Scrapbook Nerd shop.

Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Hope you're having a wonderful day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment