Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Birthday Bouquet Coloured 3-Ways with Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends!

Summer hasn't officially arrived yet but my calendar is already starting to fill up with backyard bbq get-togethers and other outdoor activities. Despite being busy in the summer, I always make time for crafting! It keeps my sanity in check!

This week for the Scrapbook Nerd Creative Team, I created three birthday themed cards that feature the lovely Avery Elle Spring Bouquet stamp and die set and the Avery Elle Oval Burst die. This stamp set features my favourite flower, the Lily, and in each of my card designs I used a different method of colouring.

For my first card, I stamped the lily bouquet onto white cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink. I coloured them with Copic alcohol markers and once they were dry, I sprayed them with Sheer Shimmer Spritz spray to give them a very shimmery look.


Next I die cut the Avery Elle Oval Burst die, added foam tape to the back and adhered it to a panel of Gina K Designs Green Grass cardstock. I then adhered it to an A2 sized white cardbase.


I added foam tape to the back of the bouquet and adhered it in the middle of the oval. I then stamped and white heat embossed the sentiment onto black cardstock using Versamark Ink and Brutus Monroe Alabaster White embossing powder. I adhered the sentiment with foam tape across the stems of the bouquet. I added some Pretty Pink Posh Berry Splash Mix jewels for the finishing touch.


On my second card, I stamped the flowers in the same way except this time I used double sided coloured pencils by Chameleon to colour the bouquet. I recently purchased these pencils after watching this Yana Smakula video. She made it look so easy so I just had to try them for myself. This was my first attempt at using pencils on a card and I really like the way it turned out. I'm certainly no expert on using this colouring medium but I hope to get better at it with more practice.


Next, I stamped a vase from the Altenew Versatile Vases stamp set onto a panel of Neenah Solar White 80 lb cardstock. Using a light blue colour pencil, I shaded in the vase to make it look like it's filled with water.


I applied foam tape to the back of the bouquet and added some gold DMC Metallic thread behind that and then adhered the bouquet on top of the vase. Next, I gold heat embossed the sentiment onto the card panel using Versamark Ink and Lawn Fawn Gold Embossing Powder. I adhered the panel to a Lawn Fawn Sugarplum A2 cardbase and finished it off by adding a few iridescent sequins from Simon Says Stamp called Girl's Best Friend.


Here's a peek at the inside of the card. I gold heat embossed a few of the lilies and stamped a sentiment from the Hero Arts Many Birthday Messages stamp set.


On my final card, I stamped the single flower images using Versamark Ink and heat embossed them with Brutus Monroe White Alabaster embossing powder. I watercoloured the flowers using Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Markers #082 Purple, #025 Pink and #044 Deep Green.


For my watercolouring, I wasn't going for perfection here. I wanted more of a free-flowing, messy kind of watercolour look which I think I achieved.


I die cut the Avery Elle Oval Burst die using Lawn Fawn Fog cardstock and adhered it to a white A2 sized cardbase. I then added foam tape to the flowers and adhered them to the oval frame. I die cut the "Oh Happy Day" sentiment that comes with the Oval Burst die set four times from Lawn Fawn Storm Cloud cardstock and adhered the words together to create dimension. I then adhered the sentiment to the center of the oval. A few Silver Lining Sequins by Simon Says Stamp finishes off the card nicely. I kept this one pretty simple.


Thanks for stopping by! I hope my card projects will inspire you to try different colouring mediums and to let go of the notion that your colouring has to be perfect. I used to compare my colouring skills to others and sometimes it would discourage me from even trying because I didn't think I could measure up. I soon realized that it wasn't about striving for perfection but rather about enjoying the process and knowing that the recipient of my card would appreciate the meaning of the card and not whether my colouring was perfect.

If you are interested in any of the supplies I used in these cards, please stop by the Scrapbook Nerd store.

And if you have any questions or would just like to say hey, leave me a comment below. I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment