Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Colour Challenge Week with Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends!

Summer is in full swing and man I've been busy. I've been revamping my craftroom with some new furniture, fresh paint and lots of purging and organizing. I'll be posting photos of my new and improved space soon. :)

In the meantime, over on the Scrapbook Nerd Facebook Friends page, the Design Team was tasked with creating projects based on the following colour scheme:


I created three cards using Ranger Alcohol Inks and Ranger Alcohol Ink Silver Sparkle Cardstock. This is my first time using alcohol inks so to help me get started, I watched this video by Jennifer McGuire.

First I'll show you my finished card projects along with details on the products I used. Then I'll have a step-by-step alcohol ink process down below.

I used the following Alcohol Ink colours on all my panels: Sunset Orange, Mermaid, Wild Plum and Sunshine Yellow. I also used Ranger Alcohol Blending Solution and of course the Silver Sparkle Cardstock mentioned above.

Each of my cards feature sentiments from the Pinkfresh Studio Classic Word Dies as well as clear drops from Studio Katia, although once they were glued down they weren't clear anymore lol. They took on the colour of the alcohol ink, which I think looks kind of cool! :)


On the "Love" card, I die cut the Altenew Fine Bouquet die three times on white cardstock and stacked them together to create dimension. I also die cut a frame from the Altenew Fine Frames Cover Die in silver glitter cardstock to match the sentiment. I layered the sentiment on top of the matching shadow die and adhered it to the card with 3D foam tape. I glued fun foam to the back of the panel and mounted it onto an A2 sized white cardbase.


On my "Thank You" card, I die cut the alcohol ink panel using the Pinkfresh Studio Diagonal Stitched Rectangle die. I love the finished edge the die creates. I also die cut a frame from the Altenew Fine Frames Cover Die using Tonic Mirror Card in Gold Pearl to match the sentiment.


I adhered fun foam to the back of the panel and mounted it onto an A2 sized cardbase from Neenah 100 lb. Smooth Desert Storm cardstock.


For my "Happy Birthday" card, I die cut the sentiment from gold glitter cardstock. I then die cut the sentiment from black cardstock. I glued the two together slightly offset so some of the black would appear. I then die cut the shadow die out of vellum and adhered them together.


The alcohol ink panel was die cut from the smallest of the two Pinkfresh Studio Braided Oval dies. I then die cut the larger oval die and layered the two together. I then glued the ovals to an A2 sized teal cardbase.


Here is a quick tutorial on the alcohol ink process. First and foremost, protect your workspace with a craft mat! Grab lots of paper towels and baby wipes and I highly recommend wearing gloves. Trust me, this is a very messy process! :)


Step 1: Add some droplets of blending solution to the silver sparkle cardstock. The blending solution will help the alcohol inks "move".


Step 2: Add droplets of various colours of alcohol inks sporadically. The inks will move on their own. Try to use colours that won't look muddy when they mix together.


Step 3: Add a little blending solution to your craft mat. Using a paint brush, pick up a bit of the blending solution and start blending the ink until you're happy with the result.


Step 4: Let the panel dry. You can speed up the drying process by using your heat tool. Once the panel is fully dry, the sparkle will come through beautifully. Note: The panel in this photo had not fully dried yet, that's why it still looks a little dull.


Step 5: Have fun creating more panels! Use different ink colours and try moving the paint brush differently. Think of it as abstract art. You will get a different and fun result every time!


Thank you so much for stopping by today. If you have any questions about my projects, please write to me below.

All the products I used today can be found in the Scrapbook Nerd shop.

Have a wonderful day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment