Monday, August 19, 2019

Foiling Fun with Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends!

Today was my first day back at work after taking a two week staycation with hubby. Even though we didn't go away, we were still having fun on day trips and spending quality time with family and friends. The weather was gorgeous almost every day so we took full advantage of the outdoors, which meant very little crafty time for me. But now I'm back in the saddle and ready to start crafting again!

The card projects I'm sharing today feature some Therm-o-web foil transfer sheets. This was my first time using foils and I was pleasantly surprised at how fun and easy they were to work with. What made it even easier was the fact that I didn't need a laminator for this particular technique. All I needed was score tape!

For my first card, I used 1/8" (3 mm) and 1/2" (12 mm) score tape.

I used a paper grid mat to align and space my strips apart evenly. First I applied the 1/2" tape, making sure to leave enough space for the 1/8" tape that I would be adding afterwards. Once I was done, I trimmed off the excess tape and removed the release paper carefully.


I then cut out a piece of Therm-o-web Rainbow Shattered Glass foil and covered the 1/2" tape completely. Using my teflon bone folder, I burnished the foil onto the tape.

I then removed the transfer sheet and voila! The foil was stuck to the adhesive! I then went back and applied 1/8" tape between the foiled strips I'd just created. I cut skinny pieces of the Therm-o-web/Gina K Designs Gold Sequins Fancy Foils, covered the 1/8" tape and followed the same steps above to reveal the gorgeous gold foiling.

I trimmed the card panel down, adhered fun foam to the back and glued it to an A2 sized white cardbase. The sentiment is from the Essentials: Classic Words Die Set from Pinkfresh Studio. The shadow is die cut from black cardstock and the words from white cardstock. I also cut out the shadow from black fun foam and adhered the pieces together to create some dimension. A few gold jewels finish off the card.


For my second card, I used 1/2" (12 mm) score tape but this time I created a diagonal pattern. The foil used here is the Therm-o-web Rainbow Shattered Glass foil. There are five transfer sheets that come in the tube and each sheet has a different colour combo. I love the rainbow look of this one!


I followed the same steps as my first card to do the foiling. I then trimmed the panel down by die-cutting it with a Lawn Fawn Small Stitched Rectangle die. I glued a piece of fun foam to the back of the panel and adhered the panel to a white A2 sized cardbase.

The sentiment is from the Birthday Wishes Die-namics by My Favorite Things. I die cut it from some glitter cardstock and also from black fun foam. I adhered the two pieces together just slightly off set so you could see a hint of black.


My last card uses the Gold Sequins foil and 1/8" (3 mm) tape. I started laying the tape down in a geometric pattern, not really thinking of what I was doing. It was when I went to remove the release paper that I realized that I'd adhered score tape over top of other lines of score tape which could make it difficult to remove the bottom release paper without damaging the top layer of tape.

At this point, I had to try to remove it and if it didn't work out, oh well. It's just paper, right? I carefully started to pull up the release paper and when I got to an intersecting part, I pulled the release paper again and it just kind of slipped through underneath the top layer of tape in one fell swoop, if that makes any sense.


If you look carefully at the intersecting points in the close-up photo, you can see that the tape is a bit raised in those parts. But honestly, I think it turned out just fine and the recipient isn't even going to notice.

I adhered the panel onto fun foam and matted it onto teal cardstock. I then adhered the panels to a black A2 sized card base.

The sentiment is from the Essentials: Classic Words Die Set from Pinkfresh Studio. The shadow is die cut from black cardstock and the word "Celebrate" from glitter cardstock. I also cut out the shadow from black fun foam and adhered the pieces together to create a 3D look. A few black sequins complete the card.


I hope you enjoyed learning about one of the fun ways you can use foil. My next foiling card project will involve some stepped up techniques which I hope to share with you soon.

All of the products I used today are available in the Scrapbook Nerd shop.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment