Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Sketch Week with Altenew and Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends,

Today I'm sharing with you two card projects inspired by this week's lovely sketch. The cards I created feature products from Altenew and involve no stamping at all. First, let's take a look at the sketch I was inspired by:


I wanted to challenge myself to create cards with colours that I don't normally gravitate to in my cardmaking so I consulted my colour wheel and picked Yellow-Orange. It turns out that Blue-Violet are the complementary colours to Yellow-Orange so I decided to go with it, even though blue and violet are my least favourite colours to work with.

Both cards feature a background panel that is cut from Neenah Solar White cardstock sized 4" x 5.25" and ink blended using the Feeling Dotty Stencil by Altenew and Picket Fence Studios Life-Changing Brushes. On my first card, I used Antique Linen Distress Oxide.


The floral I used is the Fine Bouquet die and the sentiment is the Fancy Hello die both by Altenew. Since the floral die is so intricate, I first applied cardstock to a wide roll of double-sided adhesive tape. I then die cut the floral four times so that I could stack them to create texture and dimension. Once they were cut, I peeled off the protective backing and was very easily able to adhere all four dies together with no fuss or muss that using liquid glue would've caused. As you can see, I kept some of the pieces that popped out of the die and adhered them back into the design.


The Hello sentiment was die cut four times and stacked using Gina K Designs Connect glue. I then applied Gina K Designs Crystalline Drops (Glossy Accents works too) all over the sentiment to create dimension and shine. Once it was completely dry, I adhered the sentiment with glue on the left side and added tiny foam dots to the letters on the right only so those letters could be raised up since the "h" and the "e" were elevated from being mounted over the floral.

I adhered the panel onto an A2 sized kraft cardbase by Neenah, added some 4mm clear droplets by Pretty Pink Posh, and called this one done. 


My second card uses mostly the same products and techniques. To change things up, I decided to flip the design horizontally and reverse the colours.


As you can see, this time my background and floral are blue and the sentiment is yellow. For the stenciled background, I ink blended using Distress Oxide Blueprint Sketch. 


I adhered the panel onto an A2 sized white cardbase and added some Silver Lining Sequins by Simon Says Stamp as a final touch.


And those are my completed card projects for today. 

My challenge to you is for you to create a project using colours that aren't usually your jam. Using a colour wheel is very helpful as it takes the guesswork out of which colours match with what. 

Also, please take a moment to visit the Scrapbook Nerd shop to view the products I used in my cards today. 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you're having a wonderful day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment