Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Oh Christmas Tree - Sketch Week with Scrapbook Nerd

Hi friends,

I'm back with another card project for Scrapbook Nerd. This week the Design Team was given a sketch to work with. Naturally, since it's the Christmas season, I interpreted that triangle to be a Christmas tree and created two cards using two very different techniques for my trees. Here's the sketch I was inspired by:


For my first card, I was totally inspired by a Kristina Werner video that she posted recently as part of her 2019 Holiday Card Series where she created a tree with very simple watercolouring. I included some step-out-photos below so you can see just how easy it was to create. You can also watch her video by clicking here


Rather than sketching out the tree as Kristina demonstrates in her video, I thought better than to trust my shabby drawing skills and decided to create a template on my computer instead. I opened up a Word document and created a text box the same size as my card panel (4" x 5.25"). Next I created the triangle shape and centered that in the middle of my text box. I printed it out on regular printer paper and cut out the triangle.


I then cut a 4" x 5.25" panel from Strathmore Cold Press 140 lb watercolour paper and placed the triangle over the middle of it temporarily.


Using Therm-o-Web Removable Purple Tape, I masked all around the triangle. I then removed my paper triangle template and set it aside for another project.


I then grabbed my Pinkfresh Studio Liquid Watercolours, a brush and two jars of water. One jar for rinsing the dirty brush and the other with clean water to slightly dilute the watercolour. I added a few drops of the following colours into a paint tray; Key Lime, Emerald City, Aquamarine and Sky Blue. I drew random diagonal lines using the first colour. I then used my heat gun to dry it. I went back and forth with the different colours, always making sure to dry between each colour application.


Once I was happy with my colours, I carefully removed the purple tape to reveal my tree. I then sprayed the entire panel with Thermo-o-web Silver Glitter Dust spray to give it some sparkle and shine.


Next, I mounted my card panel using fun foam to a red A2 sized cardbase to give it dimension. I stamped and white heat embossed the Merry Christmas sentiment from the Lawn Fawn Winter Wavy Sayings stamp set and die cut it with the coordinating Wavy Savings die. 


I attached foam dots to the back and adhered it across the middle of the tree. As a final touch, I added Nuvo Drops in Autumn Red.


My second card uses the Lawn Fawn Large Wreath die set to create the tree. This die set is meant to create wreaths but I like stretching my supplies and finding new ways to use them so I thought why not use the sprigs from the wreath to mimic foliage on a tree? I die cut multiple sprigs from two different coloured cardstock.


I also die cut the holly berries that come with the set from Lawn Fawn Sparkle Holiday Cardstock. I used a random die I had in my stash to die cut a star also in red glitter cardstock.

Using the same paper template of the tree, I traced it onto light green cardstock and trimmed it out. I glued all the branch pieces in a random fashion to that piece. I then adhered the berries to the tree.


I then glued the tree to a 4" x 5.25" Lawn Fawn Fog Cardstock panel that I heat embossed with clear embossing powder and the Hero Arts Noel Print Cling Stamp. I white heat embossed the sentiment from the same Lawn Fawn Wavy Savings stamp and die set and adhered it over the tree. I adhered the panel to an A2 sized white cardbase.

And those are my completed card projects for today! If you're interested in creating your own version of these cards, head on over to the Scrapbook Nerd shop to check out the supplies I used. I've conveniently included links to all the products in this post.

Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you're having a wonderful day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment